Forum > Yoshisuke Funasaka - born 1939
"I like the taste,
I like the smell,
I like the color.
It respresents freshness."
(Yoshisuke Funasaka about lemons)
Yoshisuke Funasaka is a classical master of modern Japanese
abstract art. The artist practizes a style of high geometric-like
abstraction in pleasant, strong or pastel colors. For about
20 years, Funasaka used to place more or less visible
the shape of a lemon into his designs.
At some time in the mid 1970s, the artist abandoned
his lemon "trademark".
First Publication: April 2005
Last Update: April 2013
Yoshisuke Funasaka was born in 1939 in
Gifu prefecture in Japan. In 1962 he graduated from
the prestigious Tama University of Art. With the help of
a government fellowship, the young artist could
continue his studies in England and in the U.S.A. In
1992 he returned to Tama University of Art - now as a
visiting lecturer for woodblock printmaking.
International Exhibitions and Awards
Yoshisuke Funasaka has had numerous exhibitions in Japanese galleries,
which we do not list here. We limit the number to his
exhibitions and awards outside Japan and to Japanese events
of International character.
The information was taken in abbreviated form
from the web site of Walsh Gallery - see link below.
- 1960 - Exhibition of the Japan Print Association, Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum / Japan.
- 1963 - Synyokai Exhibition, Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum / Japan.
- 1964 - 3rd International Biennial of Young Artists / Japan.
- 1965 - Japan Contemporary Art Exhibition, Tokyo / Japan.
- 1966 - 5th Tokyo International Print Biennial / Japan.
- 1968 - Pistoia International Print Biennial / Italy.
- 1968 - 7 Woodblock Print Artist Exhibition, Tokiwa Gallery, Tokyo / Japan.
1969 - Conpact Gallery Group Exhibition, Keio Department Store, Tokyo / Japan.
(In Japan department stores are renowned and prestigious exhibition opportunities for the Fine Arts.)
- 1970 - Trendsin Contemporary Art Exhibition, Kyoto National Museum of Modern Art / Japan.
- 1970 - Bradford International Print Biennial / England.
1970 - Tokyo International Print Biennial / Japan. The artist was awarded
the Prize of the National Museum of Modern Art, Kyoto / Japan.
- 1971 - Ljubljana International Print Biennial / Former Yugoslavia.
- 1971 - Now 100 Artist Exhibition, Hyogo Prefectural Museum / Japan.
- 1971 - Japan Contemporary Print Exhibition / Belgium.
- 1971 - CWAJ Print Show, Tokyo American Club, Tokyo / Japan.
- 1972 - Bird Eye View, Modern Art Exhibition, Kyoto National Museum of Modern Art / Japan.
- 1972 - Cracow International Print Biennial / Poland.
- 1972 - Bradford International Print Biennial / England.
- 1972 - Carpi International Woodblock Print Triennial / Italy.
- 1973 - 7th International Biennial of Young Artists / Japan.
- 1973 - Conpact Gallery Group Exhibition, London / England.
- 1974 - 7 Japanese Print Artist, Oxford University Press / England.
- 1974 - Japanese Print & Sculpture, Art Center, New York / U.S.A.
- 1974 - Bradford International Print Biennial / England.
- 1974 - Cracow International Print Biennial / Poland.
- 1974 - Today's Asia Contemporary Print Exhibition / Italy.
- 1975 - 2nd Miami International Graphics Biennial / U.S.A.
- 1975 - Compact Gallery Group Exhibition, Cowen Gallery, London / England.
- 1975 - Contemporary Japanese Prints, Tochigi Prefecture Museum / Japan.
- 1976 - '76 Contemporary Japanese Prints / Australia.
- 1976 - 7th International Triennial Coloured Graphic Print in Grenchen / Switzerland.
- 1976 - World Print Competition '77 / U.S.A.
- 1976 - Bradford International Print Biennial / England.
- 1977 - Ljubljana International Print Biennial / Yugoslavia.
- 1977 - '77 Contemporary Japanese Prints / Belgium.
- 1977 - Print Work Show Exhibition, Warehouse Gallery, London / England.
- 1978 - Idea, Material & Technique, Print Exhibition, Oxford Gallery / England.
- 1978 - Japanese Contemporary Print Exhibition, Sun Gallery, San Francisco / U.S.A.
- 1978 - Japanese Print Exhibition, Soker-Kaseman Gallery, San Francisco / U.S.A.
- 1978 - Frechen International Graphic Biennial / Germany.
- 1978 - Cracow International Print Biennial / Poland.
- 1979 - Bradford International Print Biennial / England.
- 1979 - Ljubljana International Print Biennial / former Yugoslavia.
- 1980 - Miami International Print Biennial / U.S.A.
- 1980 - Japanese Print Exhibition, Yoseido Gallery, Tokyo / Japan.
- 1980 - World Color Print Exhibition, Clock Museum, Sacramento / U.S.A.
- 1981 - Contemporary Japanese Print Exhibition, Galerie Automom / Germany.
- 1981 - Bacham Green Print Competition / England.
- 1981 - Lisbon International Drawing Exhibition / Portugal.
- 1981 - Print Club International Print Competition / U.S.A.
- 1982 - Contemporary Japanese Woodblock Print Exhibition, North Illinois University & San Diego Art Center / U.S.A.
- 1983 - '83 Gifu Present Situation Exhibition, Gifu Prefectural Museum / Japan.
- 1983 - Selection Japan Contemporary Art, Yonago Museum, Kagowa Museum, Toyohashi Museum and others / Japan.
- 1983 - Seoul International Print Biennial / Korea.
- 1983 - Cabo Frio International Print Biennial / Brazil.
- 1984 - Taipei International Print Biennial / Taiwan.
- 1986 - Mixed Media and Technique, Print Exhibition, Studio Art Gallery, Minnesota / U.S.A.
- 1988 - Hara Museum Collection, Hara Museum / Japan.
- 1988 - Cracow International Print Biennial / Poland.
- 1990 - Korea, Japan Exchange Exhibition, Space AD. 2000, Tokyo / Japan.
- 1991 - "Paper of Paper" Group Exhibition, Ronnebe Culture Center / Sweden.
- 1991 - Ljubljana International Print Biennial / former Yugoslavia.
- 1991 - 4th Block International Graphic Exhibition / Ukraine.
- 1992 - Contemporary Japanese Print and Ceramic Exhibition / U.S.A.
- 1993 - JAG Exhibition, Ikeda 20 Century Museum, Shizuoka / Japan.
- 1993 - Art Today, "Thailand, Japan, USA / Thailand.
- 1993 - Hungary Graphics Art Biennial / Hungary.
- 1993 - Maastricht International Print Biennial / Netherlands.
- 1994 - XYLON12 International Print Triennial / Switzerland.
- 1994 - Japanese Print "Past and Present", Tollman Collection, Wako Hall, Tokyo / Japan.
- 1994 - 4th Block International Exhibition Graphic Art and Poster / Ukraine.
- 1995 - International Print Biennial / Hungary.
- 1997 - Rajabhat Institute / Thailand.
- 1997 - 4th Block International Exhibition Graphic Art & Poster / Ukraine.
- 1998 - Kaliningrad International Print Biennial / Russia.
- 1998 - The 3rd Malaysia Annual Exhibition of International Contemporary Prints / Malaysia.
- 1998 - Woodblock Print Exhibition, 4 Artists, Gallery Fukuyama, Tokyo / Japan.
- 1998 - Contemporary Japanese Prints, Aptos Cruz Galleries / Australia, Argentina and Japan.
- 1998 - Exchange Print Exhibition, PIAT-Hall, Tokyo / Japan.
- 1998 - Komagane Museum, Nagano Prefecture / Japan.
- 1998 - Sankurino Museum, Shizuoka / Japan.
- 2001 - Taipei International Print Biennial / Taiwan.
- 2002 - Domani Exhibition "Tomorrow" Yasuda Fine Insurance Museum / Japan.
- 2002 - Contemporary Japanese Art, Walsh Gallery, Chicago / U.S.A.
Yoshisuke Funasaka is a member of Japan Print Association.
Technique and Media
Yoshisuke Funasaka works in the media of the traditional Japanese
woodblock prints, but makes also silkscreen prints. In some of
his works he mixes both techniques. His edition size is from
ca. 30 to 100. All prints that we have seen by the artist so far, were
signed with "Y.Funasaka" and numbered.
A pretty impressive list of museums in and outside of
Japan hold prints by Yoshisuke Funasaka in their collections:
- Tokyo National Museum of Modern Art (Japan)
- Kyoto National Museum of Modern Art (Japan)
- Tochigi Prefectural Art Museum (Japan)
- Suwa Museum of Art, Nagano Prefectural (Japan)
- Japan Agency Cultural Affairs
- Hara Museum of Art (Tokyo, Japan)
- Striped House Museum (Tokyo, Japan)
- Shizuoka Museum of Art (Shizuoka, Japan)
- Oita Prefectural Public Center (Japan)
- The Art Gallery of New South Wales (Sydney, Australia)
- Bibliotheque National Paris (France)
- Porter Collections, Cincinnati Art Museum (USA)
- Chase Manhattan Bank, Chicago Bank (USA)
- Alberta Gas, Trunk Line Co. Ltd. (Calgary, Canada)
- Merit Saving Loan (Los Angeles, USA)
- Brooklyn Museum (USA)
- Standard of Oil California (USA)
- Cleveland Museum (USA)
- Bradford City Art Museum (England)
- British Museum (England)
- Freer Art Museum, Sackler Gallery (USA)
The list of museum collections was taken from the web site of
Walsh Gallery - see link below.
More about Yoshisuke Funasaka
40 sold object(s) by Yoshisuke Funasaka born 1939 in our Art Archive
Author: Dieter Wanczura
- Helen Merritt and Nanako Yamada, "Guide to Modern Japanese Woodblock Prints: 1900-1975", published by University of Hawaii Press, Honolulu, ISBN 0-8248-1732-X
- Frances Blakemore, "Who is Who in Modern Japanese Prints", John Weatherhill, New York and Tokyo, 1975. ISBN 0-8348-0101-9
The images on this web site are the property of the artist(s) and or
the artelino GmbH and/or a third company or institution.
Reproduction, public display and any commercial use of these images, in
whole or in part, require the expressed written consent of the artist(s)
and/or the artelino GmbH.